This will be our forth summer returning to the far northern coast of California in Smith River. The community is very excited to host Sierra Service Project again.
Based on the 2010 census, there are 866 residents in Smith River. One third of the population is Hispanic. We will work throughout Del Norte County in Smith River, Fort Dick and Crescent City. Our services are open to the entire community.
Learn More About SSP in Smith River
For the most part, we work on the homes in the communities we serve. The type of work includes roofing, building wheelchair ramps and porches, painting and other general home repairs. No construction experience is needed, and you’ll be amazed at all of the work that your youth teams complete!
Occasionally, our teams work on churches, community buildings, and schools in the communities that host us. In addition, we will sometimes participate in other types of community service activities like community gardens when there is a need and the work is appropriate for youth work teams. About one half of our projects in Smith River in 2015 were for community organizations.
Most projects take longer to complete than your week at SSP so you may see the beginning, middle or end of a project.
Last year our volunteers completed 16 projects throughout Del Norte County including:
- 6 painting projects including painting Lighthouse Quilt Guild, Hiouchi Fire Station, Smith River United Methodist Church, Del Norte County Animal Shelter and the Crescent City Art Institute.
- 3 fences
- 2 sets of stairs and porches
- 1 full roof replacement
- Garden boxes for Smith River United Methodist Church’s parsonage, dog cages for the Animal Shelter, and compost bins for Del Norte County’s First 5.
- 44 volunteer days doing beach clean ups with Recology
- 248 volunteer days removing invasive European Beach grass with the Tolowa Dune Stewards.
Residents of Del Norte County, CA are encouraged to apply for services. Please note that it is not possible to complete all requested work due to time, budget and volunteer limitations.
In order to receive our services you must:
- Complete a Home Repair Work Request. If you would rather have a hard copy mailed to you, please call (916) 488-6441 or email Megan Walsh.
- Own your home
- We are unable to do any work within mobile home parks
- However, if you live in a mobile or modular home that is NOT within a park, you are welcome to apply for services.
Smith River United Methodist Church
We will be housed at the Smith River United Methodist Church and Smith River Elementary School which are across the street from each other. Tent camping at the church is available for adventurous souls. Our Food Service Coordinators will prepare meals and we will eat at the church. We will be showering a few blocks away at the Smith River Baptist Church and some other locations around the town.
High School Sessions
The fee for high school sessions in Smith River is $365 per youth and adult volunteer.
- Week 1: July 2 – July 8
- Week 2: July 9 – July 15
- Week 3: July 16 – July 22
- Week 4: July 23 – July 29
Combined Middle and High School Sessions
The fee for combined sessions in Smith River is $365 per youth and adult volunteer.
- Week 5: July 30 – August 5
- Week 6: August 6 – August 12
Send letters and care packages to youth, counselors, and even staff! Please only mail through USPS. Check delivery times with your local Post Office before mailing as this location is quite remote and packages may take some time to arrive.
TBA May 2017
Emergency Phone Number
To reach the Smith River site in case of emergency, or if you are a liaison for your group call:
TBA May 2017
Follow on Twitter at @SSPsmithriver
The average high during the summer is 65°F and low is 50°F.
The area is beautiful and at times the days (and nights) can be chilly! Make sure to bring lots of layers and winter clothes – this is not your typical California summer location! Coats, sweatshirts, long pants and hats are recommended.
For current weather conditions, visit the school’s Weather Bug website.
Directions to Smith River United Methodist Church
To get to Smith River, consult Google maps or a similar mapping service to find the best route for your group.
Smith River United Methodist Church
121 Beckstead Street
Smith River, CA 95567
Download the detailed SSP Smith River Study Guide and Understanding Reservations Guide to help your group learn about the community and get more out of your SSP experience. We suggest that you download the study guide, share with your group and discuss the materials during a planning meeting.
- Tolowa Tribe
- Smith River Alliance
- Tolowa Coast Trails
- Del Norte County Animal Shelter
- Crescent City Art Institute
In the News
- Del Norte Triplicate Front Page, July 22, 2013: Building faith through service
2017 Staff in Smith River
Each site location is staffed by team of mature young adults. They are trained and present at the site for the entire summer, working with the community to provide quality service opportunities.