- Challenging service. Youth take on complex projects, learn to safely use power tools, and cultivate teamwork and problem-solving skills.
- Fun! The SSP experience includes a tradition of games, songs, and lasting friendships.
- Safe & Dependable. SSP has 40 years of youth service, leadership, and home repair knowledge, is dedicated to physical and emotional safety, and provides nutritious meals and spiritual support to all volunteers.
- Intercultural engagement. Working with others to strengthen communities different from their own allows youth to experience new cultures in an authentic way.
- Community-based, transformative service learning experience.
During the 2015 summer, SSP hosted 1,757 volunteers. They worked together to complete 94 projects which included replacing 9 failing roofs, constructing 10 brand new wheelchair ramps, and painting 17 homes. SSP worked with 5 United Church of Christ churches who sent 45 volunteers in 2015.
Reverend Adam Briddell is the Associate Pastor at First United Methodist Church in Eugene, OR, and served with SSP for the first time this summer. Rev. Briddell says a huge benefit to his church is that, “SSP lets me involve new adult volunteers that might be intimidated if they had to take more responsibility for spiritual programming and project planning. I absolutely trust the SSP team to deliver a quality experience.” Although the adults get a great experience, the youth who participate get an even greater one. Rev. Briddell says that, “our church sends our youth to SSP because it is transformative (…) for the youth and chaperones that participate, and transformative for the communities SSP serves.”
“our church sends our youth to SSP because it is transformative (…) for the youth and chaperones that participate, and transformative for the communities SSP serves.”
SSP is committed to providing safe, accessible, and affordable programs for youth to deepen their relationships with God and others through service. SSP trips cover housing, meals, construction training, spiritual development, fellowship and more. We also offer scholarships to groups and individuals who may not otherwise be able to attend.
Groups of all sizes can enroll, and no group is too small. Those interested, including individual youth, may register where space is available. Call (916) 488-6441 or click today for more information!
Sierra Service Project is an independent, interdenominational Christian 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that provides equal opportunity for everyone to experience God’s grace through service. SSP believes in offering the invitation to service and relationship freely, without expectation. SSP is open and affirming, and welcomes anyone who is interested in participating in its programs.