2019 Weekend Map
This is Sierra Service Project’s eighth year offering Weekends of Service as a part of our year-round programs! We host these sessions throughout the year to encourage youth to be involved in their own communities. From learning about homelessness in Portland to the value of neighborhood beautification in Sacramento, each session has had its own flavor.
- Download the 2018 Weekend of Service Information and Preparation Packet (2019 packet to be released soon)
Where do Weekends of Service take place?
North Sacramento and Rancho Cordova Site
- SSP works in two different communities within the Sacramento region: North Sacramento, which is within the City of Sacramento, and Rancho Cordova, a small city that borders Sacramento.
- We work with a variety of local partners. Our work is done with local low-income homeowners and consists of yard cleanup, basic home repairs, handicap ramps, and painting. We shift to indoor work with nonprofits if the case of rain.
- We stay at St. Mark’s United Methodist Church in Sacramento and shower a short drive away.
- Programs incorporate educational activities focused on Sacramento as the capitol, and learning about the work of other nonprofits. We can customize these visits based on your group’s interests.
Weekends of Service in Sacramento are in partnership with our Rancho Cordova Home Beautification program. The work will be focused on home repairs and we will be housed at St. Mark’s United Methodist Church in Sacramento.
Weekends in Portland are based out of Sunnyside Community House and focus on homelessness and food insecurity. We will partner with a variety of nonprofit organizations for our service work.
When can we serve?
All sessions are scheduled by request. Dates currently scheduled for 2019 are:
- January 19-21 MLK Jr. Weekend
- February 15-17 Presidents Day Weekend
- March 15-17
Contact Megan Walsh if you would like to schedule a weekend outside of these dates for your group.
How many people will be at a Weekend of Service?
We hope to enroll between 25 and 45 volunteers total in each session. No group is too small – one youth and one adult make a group!
What age groups are welcome?
All weekends are for both middle school and high school groups. Youth grades 6th through 12th are welcome to participate.
What is the cost and what is included?
The cost for Weekends of Service is TBD. The fee includes all meals, lodging for two nights, supplies, and a t-shirt. We can run weekends with fewer than 25 participants, but this will increase the price per person.
Are there scholarships available?
Yes. Our commitment is that no youth should be excluded from participating due to lack of money. Scholarships are available for Weekends of Service, and are applied to the final payment.
When are registrations due?
Registrations and scholarship applications are due four weeks prior to a Weekend of Service session.
How do I register a group?
The registration process takes place on our MySSP portal, which is our online registration system. MySSP allows you to submit your registration, make payments, and later in the process, update your group’s information regarding roster information, t-shirt sizes, and dietary needs.